I hope your Thanksgiving was a special time of giving thanks and being with those you love. We had a much smaller gathering, just my family of four, plus my mom. It was my first year to ever make the turkey! My mom brought the most important dressing and gravy, along with a pecan pie. My son made the pumpkin pie. And I made the rest of the sides. It was a joint effort and sweet time together.Read more
Last November 2019, I got a FaceTime call from my son who was attending college in California. He and his friends had just picked up a piece of furniture that one of them had bought online. As the music played and the friends drove, he was calling to introduce me to his new dog. What?!
When his friends picked up the piece of furniture, the seller mentioned, “I also have this dog if you know anyone who wants it.” And my son had readily agreed: “I’ll take her.” Despite my appeals for him to take the dog back, it became clear she was a new member of the family.Read more
I wrote this 12 years ago and refer back to it every four years!
- I’m thankful for a Sovereign God who is seated on the throne in the heavens and whose kingdom rules over all (Psalm 103:19).
- I’m thankful to know that He alone raises up and brings down leaders and rulers (Daniel 2:21).
- I’m thankful that He alone is great and worthy of all praise (Psalm 145:3), worthy as the Lamb who was slain to receive all power, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise (Rev. 5:12).
- I’m thankful that He sets my feet on the Rock (Psalm 40:2) and keeps me secure.
- In Him, I have complete confidence and hope, and I have no cause for fear.
- He is my Rock, fortress, deliverer, strength, salvation, and shield (2 Samuel 22; Psalm 18).
- He will not forsake those who trust in Him (Psalm 9:10).
On Monday, August 10, at 3:15 p.m., my mom called and told me a storm was coming with at least 80mph winds. She always pays attention to the weather. I, on the other hand, had no idea. I had been sitting quietly on my sofa doing some work from home that afternoon.
I hung up to call my daughter who had just left to go meet a friend at Starbucks. She didn’t answer, so I called my husband who had been taking the other car for an oil change as I prepared to travel later that week. He was walking the mile back from the shop, having left the car to pick up later. Thankfully, as he neared home, he saw my daughter driving and told her to turn around.
At 3:27 p.m., emergency alerts for a tornado warning came through all of our phones.Read more
Though I’m not a morning person, I love mornings. I look forward to the start of each day to fix some hot tea (or sometimes coffee—though I can’t figure out a way to actually like coffee—any suggestions?) and spend time reading my Bible and praying. An especially good morning includes a walk in the neighborhood, which is a good time to focus, pray, and plan the day. Read more